Monday, October 4, 2010

Research and Methodology: Inscription as a Liberating Practice

     I was running late to my seminar class today- only about 5 minutes late. I've been running late all day. But I figure late is better than never. Maybe it's because of this depressing weather that I just can't seem to make my classes ontime. My math class is at 2:10- I'll make sure that I'm early for that class.
    Today's speaker was a familiar face. Her name is Dr. Dana Williams, and while I may not know her personally, I do see her all the time in this class. When I walked in, scrambling to find a seat, she was talking about the basic components of research. I assume she chose this topic in attempt to assist us with our research question. Again because I transferred late into this class, I have had a lot of questions go unanswered. I blame myself, naturally, because I could be more persistant. I'll figure it out eventually... Anyway, she addressed to us the six components of research: 1. Statement of the problem/ challenge, 2. Review, 3. Methodology, 4. Framework, 5. Development of Thesis and 6. Conclusions. Methodology determines how we decide to approach the topic and the Framework is how we decide to structure the project and how we decide to display the data. The Development of Thesis is the stage in which we must articulate a thesis. It's also the step in which we must begin to provide convinvincing details and structure the research. As for the conclusion, that is the step in which all questions prosed at the begining must be answered. The conclusion must also answer, "what new insights has your research revealed?" and "what future study should this research undertake?"
      She then went on to provide example for the six step research outline. She did a case study of the Freshman Seminar class. How they came up with the idea to teach the class the way they currently do. She used the word institutionalize a lot and I found out the official name for the class is "Freshman Seminar 2010: Cultivating a Commitment to Academic Excellence and Independent Discovery." Independent Discovery- I couldn't have worded it any differently. I've come to realize that's exactly what college is: Independent Discovery. You must teach yourself, the professors are really just there to answer questions. You're education is truely up to you in every way.

Nicole McKinney

No comments:

Post a Comment