Sunday, October 3, 2010

Learning, Wisdom and the African World Experience

        Because I transfered into my Freshman Seminar class late, I didnt really know what I was supposed to do the first time I got there. Was I just supposed to sit there and listen? Was I supposed to take notes? What is this paper they gave me? What is an e-portfolio.
        I am writing these next couple of posts completely from long term memory..
        I cannot remember the name of the man who spoke to the class that day. I think it might have been Dr. Carr? Well anyway, he spoke about the many things that originated in Africa. Like, for example, how writing came from Africa. He also spoke about Egypt and the many discoveries they'd made, the Gods whom they'd worshipped, and the kingdom they'd created. Then he went on to show us Egytian symbols and what not until he ran out of time.
       One thing he said that stood out to me, was when he said "Howard was originally an integrated school: black, white, native american, asian, etc." I walk around now and see at least a couple of white students, a couple of asians here and there... but hands down, anyone would say this a majority black school; An HBCU.
       And yet there is still so much diversity. While it may not look "integrated", looks could never be more decieving. We have a black student from Nigeria, a black student from Jamaica, a black student from England, a black Student from the US Virgin Islands.. Even the differences between the black students that reside in the different states of the US show great diversity. A black student from California is different than a black student from Nebraska. A black student from Florida is different than a black student from Maine. A black student from Texas is completely different than a black student from Massachusetts. I can say this with reassured confidence because I've recently made this one friend from Texas, and he is an utter and complete culture shock for me. I'm starting to believe that this is really going to be a very different college experience for me.

Nicole McKinney

No comments:

Post a Comment